Are you looking for eye makeup ideas? Tips and techniques to create gorgeous, alluring eyes? Your eyes help form the all important first impression. They are the first thing most people notice.
Would you like to add an aura of mystery, to your appearance? A subtle glamour, that engages but is hard to detect? You can! The eyes hold the key. Incorporate these simple eye makeup tricks into your beauty routine to create the intrigue of the legendary “Bette Davis eyes.”
It all begins with the illusion of bigger eyes. Cosmetic tricks and fuller lashes make your eyes “pop.” Just follow the steps below.
Eye shadow and eye liner
- Start with the foundation and build. Apply a light colored eye shadow to upper lids and blend gently. You can substitute a small amount of liquid foundation for this step.
- Choose a neutral eye shadow color… brown or grey are recommended. Begin in the middle of the eyelid. Apply evenly, extending to the outer eye lid. Use a small amount. Add additional shadow in layers as needed.
- Finish with a darker shade of eyeliner applied to the upper lid. Add a little dark color to the outer edge, underneath the eye, if you’d like. Apply the color and smudge with your fingertip to blend.
Small, closely set eyes?
- To open the eye area, dab a bit of white shadow to the inner corners of the lid. This creates the illusion that the eyes are wider apart. Avoid dark shadow or eyeliner on the inner lid. This will make eyes appear even smaller.
Eyes far apart?
- You need to create an illusion that is the reverse of the above. The first step is the same… apply light shadow to the entire lid. Next, apply a medium colored shadow to the inner corner and extend to the outer corner of your lid. Follow with eyeliner across the entire lid.
The allure of the curl…
- Use an eyelash curler to flatter your lashes. Don’t be intimidated by the little contraption – it’s simple to use. First, make sure lashes are clean… no leftover mascara! Then place upper lashes between the clamps and squeeze. Hold in place for 15-30 seconds. Voila… curly, sexy, lashes!
- Black mascara is the best choice for most women. Those with light blond or red hair can use brown mascara.
- Apply to the lower side of upper lashes. Begin at the base of the lashes, closest to the eye, and move to the tip. Separate lashes as you go by gently rolling the wand. And there’s no need to pump the wand in the tube (like most of us automatically do). In fact, that only adds unwanted air.
- For a dramatic effect, apply 2-3 layers, letting mascara dry between coats. This will help prevent ugly clumps.
In addition to eye makeup ideas, consider eye safety. Bacteria breeds in a mascara tube. Avoid infection by replacing mascara every 3 months. And never share your mascara with anyone else!
By: Jacqui Alarie